Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Blog Disclaimer

Every time I start a new journal or blog, I write a disclaimer for all of the things that you may find in it. I am a very polite and respectful person in public, and have been known to bend over backwards to avoid confrontation for my views if it will improve the situation on the whole, but I am also not a person to be made mute and impotent altogether because of my ability to be polite in a place where, by all rights, you should have had your teeth slapped out of your head. Instead, I wait.
When I was in high school, I was dragged into the principals office for writing stories that I suppose could be referred to as "Columbine-esque". They were rude, and brutally honest, and full of anger and frustration and rage. The only difference, however, between me and every other mindless drone they tried to manufacture, was that I knew that it was more beneficial to write what I felt inside rather than be an outward bitch or insensitive asshole instead.
Well they would have NONE of that kind of thinking. Apparently, creative writing should be structured to make it as pointless as possible. No thought or insight just so long as we jumped the proverbial hoop. I was accused of sex when I hadn't had it yet, violence I had absolutely no ability or desire to perform, crimes that had not been comitted, and associations with people who I had never met. All because it was written. It wasn't until years later that someone read my journal and commented that everything I wrote was exactly how they felt at the time but were too afraid or ashamed to say.
And that is sad.
What I write is what I think. That's all. I try as hard as I can to keep exactly what I think and feel to come out in a way that it can be understood by another person....but not necessarily agreed with. I don't write for approval of my position. I write to make an awareness of it. What you decide to do with what I write or feel is entirely up to you. HOW I go about it, however, is not up to you.
I will swear and curse and use four letter explitives at will. Not because I have to, but because that is what comes out. I will praise and at the same time insult everything about each and every one of us. Your identity, your religion, your ethnicity, your ethics, your moralities, everything. And I will do the same to myself.
The truth is something that this world seems to not have much use of. Not if it can be sacrificed for something else. Cut and dried definitions are skewed into completely irrational configurations to justify the most assinine of situations. And maybe that is just the way of the world. But just because a person is trained or forced to not notice that there is an elephant in the cupboard, does not mean that I should have to ignore it all the time in every situation. There will come a time and a place where I will walk away from the cupboard and the elephant of lies and falsehoods, and make my own assumptions about what is right and wrong with the world. It seems to me that we have spent too much time listening to the truths of other people without asking ourselves how they came to the conclusions anyway. We gave them the chance to make what was said and done be the same thing, and they fucked it up. So instead, I offer the ability to state my point of view even if I can't change it, by what and how I write.
So read it with an open mind, because I wrote it with one. Don't agree with it if you don't want to, but don't make me pretend truth and where I do not believe it exists by having me right what feels good. Life isn't fair.
A Liar taught me that.

1 comment:

  1. Quixotic; THANK YOU! For everything that I always knew about you, you proved it by refusing to stop believing in me even when I was making every excuse I could to stay where I wanted to be but was being trapped and destroyed with for believing it. You were right when you showed me what I was told to not see and right again when you told me I could have love without being afraid. I don't have all I ever said I deserved anymore but I am not paying top dollar of myself to be denied either. David says 'HI' and says you were right. He loves to mow the lawn knowing it makes me happier to know he loves me than it does to have the lawn mowed. We love you!!

    ReplyDelete